Thursday, October 28, 2010

Reading Notes for 11/1/10

HTML tutorial:  This tutorial was really great.  It was succinct and informative with plenty of examples.  I feel like I have learned much more about webdesign just from reading it.   I was surprised to hear that HTML is not like coding, which probably just shows my ignorance.  They seem rather similar in structure to me. In both you are writing something we can understand into something the computer will understand. And what you are writing affects the layout and conceptualization of your project.

HTML cheat sheet:  I think I will definitely be referring back to this whenever I get a chance to use HTML.  Maybe for Assignment 6?

CSS Tutorial:  This was a great tutorial as well.   Just reading about the way websites used to be structured before all our advances in technology made me smile.  I remember using the dial-up modem to call AOL and finally after 2 minutes getting access to the internet, watching videos that took a very long time to download, and having very bland/ non-interactive (compared to today) screens where the photos would take sometimes just as long as the video itself to download.  Even all the colors that they showed of the 216 out of 256 approved colors reminded me how basic all of those early webpages were.  I'm glad we've progressed so fast!


The Beyond HTML article was another good article.  It was a bit complex, but in general quite readable.  Towards the end of the article they mentioned that some libraries used CMS products " Macromedia Contribute, one used Zope, and the remaining library used DBMAN." (under survey of CMS activities in libraries, last page).  I was wondering if "LibGuide" was a CMS product?  I assume it is.  I have used "Libguides" before and I know a lot of librarians/libraries find them very organized and helpful.   (Although I do not know how expensive it is).

1 comment: