Saturday, October 2, 2010

Reading Notes for 10/04/2010

Wikipedia Article:  This article gave a good overview of the concept of a database.  I was interested to see how they divided the databases into different types such as End-User, Analytical, and Distributed databases under Data Warehouses.  I asked a software engineer friend of mine about these organized subdivisions and he said that they were not well know terms.  I assume then that they classified them this way in order for lay men, like myself, to be able to have a better grasp on the different types out there.   


Gilliand Article:  Metadata is something that is part of many different types of librarian-ship and our current life in general. I liked how this article described the typology of the different data standards into structure, content, value, and format.  It gave me a clearer picture into how information about information is organized.  I was interested to read about MeSH headings as data value, thesauri, or controlled vocabulary.  I have heard that term in reference to Mesh before as I work in a medical library.  The article states "these are the terms, names, and other values that are used to populate data structure standards or metadata  element sets."  Which I think describes it well.   


Miller Article:   The Dublin Core Data Model article was I think a difficult read and maybe for individuals who understand it on a higher level.  There was also a lot of coding written into the article. My understanding is that the DCDM is used for classification and identification of works across multiple disciplines, thereby implementing a standard for use.  It is also very specific for an electronic environment.  The Model tries to address many different characteristics and requirements.  

No comments:

Post a Comment