Thursday, September 9, 2010

WK 2 Readings

Personal computer hardware (Wikipedia) :  It is interesting to me that I know about these words and in conversation I do tend to use a certain percentage of them.  However, the basic components like the CPU, the RAM, the Motherboard are really things I don't know about.  I found it very useful to read this site and see the visual aid on the right to classify all the different parts of the computer.  I feel as though I have a broader picture about computers.

Moore's Law:  I liked the video for this presentation.  Though I did have to stop it once or twice to try to understand and think about what the presenter was saying (as she spoke quickly).  I thought on the whole it was an engaging, funny, and well presented video about Moore's law.  I spoke with a friend after about this video and he told me that in general computers only need 5-6 volts of energy to sustain themselves.  I find this fact to be quite fascinating.  The actuality that one of the most important technological devices we own, only needs a small percentage of the energy that we use for everyday things.

Computer History Museum:   It was great to see this website.  And I also understand why its in Mountain view California!  I don't think it could be anywhere else but close to Silicon Valley.  The one aspect I really liked about the website was the timeline page.  It was interesting to see the steady progression of technology through the years.  And also to see the interaction and influence of computers for gaming and special effects in movies towards the later part of the timeline.  

No comments:

Post a Comment