Friday, September 17, 2010

Reading Notes for 9/20/10

Introduction to Linux a hands on guide - I find it quite fascinating that Linux's concepts of free and open access were so revolutionary at the time of their creation.  These concepts are continually influencing the way we create and produce information today .  There is still a belief in freedom, collaborative expression, and experimentation, for growth .  Take for example Wikipedia.  Wikipedia has grown to achieve all that it has from these these principles of freedom, collaboration and experimentation that Linus Torvald used when implementing Linux.

Mac OS-  The Kernel Thread article was a very complex and intricate article that was mostly about the programming languages and softwares.  I think it was a good way to start seeing and absorbing the names associated with the MacOS.  I also liked how they discussed the multiple stages and years it took for Apple to produce the Mac OS.  Being a layperson (in terms of technology), I didn't know about all the multiple and  different failed attempts to produce this product.  I think now I understand better the complexities, trials, and difficulties company's face in creating a usable product.  

The Kernel Thread article while very interesting was difficult for me to understand. Most of the article was about software and programming.  However, the Wikipedia article I think was more along the lines of my understanding.  It clarified and simplified the basic background regarding the creation of the Mac OS.  

An update on the Windows road map- I was intrigued by the websites mention of "downgrade rights."  This was not a concept I had imagined before.  Generally, people want to upgrade, not downgrade.  But, I understand in certain situations as with business, this can be more a hassle than a help.  If for example a small company bought 4 new computers, it could be confusing if the rest of their computers ran on Windows XP and the four new computers ran on Vista.  To improve efficiency a company may wish to downgrade until they were ready to upgrade all their computers.

  

1 comment:

  1. Priya,
    You bring up a lot of interesting points from all of the readings. I especially agree with your example of a small business not wanting or needing to upgrade all of their computers at once. I recently had a similar 'downgrading/upgrading' problem with one of my old Mac computers. My main computer died, so I needed to bring my old one up to date. Otherwise I couldn't install the latest Word package. This proved to be very difficult, as I needed to install some versions of Mac OS from 3-6 years ago, before I could install more recent ones. Being a layperson (of computers) myself, I felt like I was walking in the dark and falling down a lot. At the end of it all, I ended up buying a new computer anyway!

    ReplyDelete