Saturday, November 6, 2010

Reading Notes for 11/8/10

The Martin Bryan article was a good introductory article.  I had trouble with accessing it, but I read on some of my classmates blogs where to get a good link for the article.  The article gave a good background to the XML framework and organization.  I think this was one of the best articles for this week.

The Uche Ogbuji article I think was very complex and went a bit over my head.  I did notice they had some great links to other XML tutorials.  Many of these tutuorials were basic tutorials.  I followed a few and found them to be very good references.

I liked the first few pages of the Andre Bergholz article.  I liked the examples he used on the side of the page.  In figure 1a and 1b for HTML and XML hes states "The HTML description is layout oriented, while the XML description is structure oriented."  From the readings this seems to be one of the major difference between the two and also why people may prefer XML.   Because, XML can offer more due to its structured nature.

The XML Schema Tutorial was also a very good read.  I like the format of the w3schools.com content.  We also read from this site last week and I find it rather clear and concise.  Reading about the Schema and how much better that it is to DTD's reminded me of last weeks reading about how HTML has CSS sheets to help expand its abilities.  It also brings to mind the fact that technology is constantly changing and that in a few years something may have superseded XML Schema.   

1 comment:

  1. The Andre Bergholz article is the one that set things straight for me because of the examples, especially the one you cite - 1a and 1b - and the quote about HTML being description. The first two articles were were just words on a page until I read the third this article because I have no experience with XML. It doesn't look like XML is all that different from HTML, they just do different things.

    ReplyDelete