Saturday, November 13, 2010

Reading Notes for 11/15

In the Mischo article it was interesting to read about the university projects that were funded by the DL-1 for networking and computing technologies.  It was good to see Carnegie Mellon listed there as I'm sure these grants were only for the most qualified and capable groups.  It said that CMU had a grant for the "study of integrated speech, image, video, and language understanding software under its Informedia system."  I wonder if that is for speech recognition technology?  Or if it was something that was specific for individuals who are either deaf,  hearing impaired, or blind?


The Paepcke, A. et al. article is interesting because he talks about "the binary union between academic librarians and computer scientists."  And I feel in many ways thats what Information Science is about, a fusion of computer science and library science.  I didn't think I really understood till I started my MLIS, the interconnected weave that technology and information have with each other.  I already feel very knowledgeable about many computer based concepts.  Granted, I have a long long ways to go till I can really feel proficient.  But, I still feel an understanding of the concept of this union.


The article by Lynch, Clifford  was a very heavy read.  But, as I was reading I started wondering about the University of Pittsburgh's Institutional repository.  I wondered if we had one, what it is called and who uses it.  At first I thought it may be something like Blackboard.  But, then it described it more as a place that individuals can access anything by a professor or a graduate student.  And on Blackboard you can only access the classes that you have or teach.  Therefore, I don't think it fits the description. So I guess I would like to know more about the University of Pittsburgh and institutional repositories.

No comments:

Post a Comment